Relationship with My Mother

Describe your relationship with your mother

Every morning, as I am doing my schoolwork in my room, the familiar sound of my mother's footsteps walking along the corridor reaches my ears. I know that in a few moments, my mother will be silently open my door, putting the snacks and peeled fruits on my desk quietly, so as not to stir me from my concentration. I know she will feel pleased as she watches me studying.

My mother, at 42 years, has short straight hair which is neatly-combed. She is small-built and plump with an oval face. Yet, behind his brown glasses are soft, kind eyes.

My mother has always been my source of encouragement. When I was very young, she taught me three kinds of language word by word. Every night, she would take an English or Chinese book from our small home library and read aloud to me. Secure and loved, on her lap, I was introduced to the fascinating realm of books.

I remember how, as she was reading, my mother would point out each word from the paragraphs. Then one day, she instructed me to read the words for myself. To our shared delight, I found that I was able to do so. From that day onwards, I was the one who would read aloud English and Chinese books, with her gentle correction every now and then. Soon after that, I was picking up the hooks and reading them on my own. I became quite a bookworm.

As I grew into boyhood, my bookish ways and disinterest in outdoor games made me clumsy and rather unfit. One day, my mother stood observing me as I was running to a field, just 50 yards away. I arrived there, huffing and puffing. Worriedly, she told me that she would not like to see her son grow up into an unhealthy man.

From that day onwards, she organizes family jogging twice a week. My parents started to take me on jogs. At first, I was a most reluctant jogger. However, these days, as I stand perched at the end of running field, breathing deeply after a good run, I remember her words, "A healthy body breeds a healthy mind."

My mother has a store of wise sayings which may seem common to some but always strike the correct note with me. Once, when I was really depressed, she put an arm around my waist and gently asked me what was troubling me. Lifting my bowed head, I poured out my heart's discontent. After listening, she consoled me. Then she said, "There are always more ways than difficulties". Somehow, I was able to be unruffled in spite of my problems.

At another time, when I was about to give up on a task, she advised me, "Actions speak louder than words". Somehow, her words gave me the strength to try again, and I was able to succeed. Since then, whenever I feel daunted by a task, her advice always comes to mind and this spurs me on to persevere.

Looking back, I realize that every step of the way, through my infancy and childhood, my mother has been there for me whenever I needed her. When I was sick, she would rush me to the doctor. When I was sick at heart, she would know just the right things to say. In any kind of trouble, I would just have to give her a call. She would surely be there.

I am only one or two years away from adolescence and know that many more challenges lie ahead of me. However, I can be sure that my mother will be there, looking out for me all the way. Why? Because she loves me.




留言

  1. 謝利米哥哥,

    Your writing is terrific and it is very long..........👍👍👍👍,it good to have a mother like this.

    回覆刪除

張貼留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

太陽

閱讀報告:拾香紀

表哥,那一次我不是故意的